Monday 4 April 2011

New Zealand foodstuffs Part II

1) Hokey Pokey ice cream
NZ have the highest rate of ice cream consumption per person in the world. Their own unique flavour is 'hokey pokey', which is basically just caramel ice cream with caramel flavour crunchy bits in. Bit boring really. I wanted pavlova flavoured.


2) Red bananas
Advertised in the shop as having 'a hint of raspberry', red bananas are smaller than normal bananas and have a red skin (duh). The card in the shop told me they were ripe if they showed a hint of yellow, so after careful examination I chose one and paid my 60cents (30p).

The first problem I encountered was the skin - it may be a pretty colour, but it's damned impossible to open in the normal way. I had to get H to do it with her thumbnail, and then the top was all mushy from my attempts.

The second problem was my interpretation of 'a hint of yellow'. Turns out having a slight yellowish tinge to the bottom end is too ripe, so it was a bit soft.

However, despite all this, it was quite edible, and tasted like a sweeter version of a normal banana. Absolutely nothing like raspberry though.


3) NZ version of fast food
They do have the same fast food outlets here in NZ that we do (if I have to walk past another blooming Subway store...), but they also have another fast food option: sushi.

There are hundreds of sushi shops here, offering pre-packaged takeaway boxes full of sushi. You can get 8 large pieces of mixed fresh sushi/sashimi for about $9 (£4.50), or you can go for the 'sushi of the day', which is 8 pieces of the same sushi for $4.90 (£2.95). And it's goooood sushi too - the kind that would cost £10-15 in the UK. Bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment